Helping Seniors Help Themselves!
The Office seeks to participate in the development of community based services to insure that persons over age 60 have maximum opportunities to live with independence and dignity in their community.
The Office’s role in development of these services will include action to advocate for the rights of older people, provide community based services, and to plan and work with other services agencies to meet the needs of older people.
- Meals on Wheels-A hot nutritious meal delivered around noon time. Extra cold meal available for supper, and/or frozen weekend meals; suggested contribution $3.00 for noon meal, $5.00 for both hot and cold meals, and $6.00 for both freezer and weekend meals. Call 589-5424.
- Case Management- Professional advice and discussion on how to meet home care needs. No fee.
- Home Care Aides - Personal Care and housekeeper aides to help you in your home; cost is income based.
- Lifeline(Personal Emergency Response System)- A unit and personal help button in the home to call for help when an emergency arises, "Help Needed" call rings to Philips Lifeline Call Center. Designated friends, relatives or neighbors are called to check on person. $30 monthly fee; $20 installation fee. may be paid by medicaid if eligibility requirements are met.
- Information & Assistance-Detailed consultation about services and benefits you may be entitled to; to keep you safe and living independently in your own home. Call 589-3191 for an appointment
- Outreach Visits- Visits to homebound, frail elderly to link to necessary community. No fee.
- Home Modification Assessments- Home visit by OFA staff to assess your home for adaptions that could be made to make your home safe as you age.
- Information And Assistance- Detailed consultation about services and benefits you may be entitled to; to keep you safe and living independently in your home. Call 589-3191 to schedule an appointment. You must be 60 or over.
- Caregiver Assistance- To support caregivers providing assistance to seniors in the community. Services include information, counseling, training, respite services, caregiver news letter and support groups. Assistance and counseling with transition from home based care to adult care facility or nursing home care. Call 589-3192 for more information. $10 suggested contribution per counseling session.
- Caregiver Support Group- Meetings are held every Tuesday from 4-5pm. All meetings are confidential. Meetings are held at hospice, 14080 Route 31 West Albion. For more information please call 589-0809.
- CATS (Community Action Transportation)- For van service to medical appointments within or outside of Orleans County. Must be 60 years or older and NOT on medicaid. Monday through Friday, 8am-4pm. Suggested contributions for round trip are: $3 within village; $4 out-of-village; $5 to Brockport or Middleport; $1 extra per stop. Call 589-7700 at least 24 hours in advanced for rides within Orleans County. For Medical Transportation outside of county to Hamlin, Batavia, Lockport, Rochester, and Buffalo call 589-3191 as early as you can to book, due to limited space. suggested contribution for out of county medical transportation is $10.
- OTS (Orleans Transit Service)- service across Orleans County and to Brockport. They offer county wide demand response service M-F. Free OTS passes are available at OFA for seniors 60 years and older. Call 589-0707 for route information. call 589-3191 for free passes.
- Legal Services- Legal advice and assistance may be available if over age 60; call Office for the Aging at 589-3191; suggested contribution $20 for first hour and $10 for additional hours.
- Congregate Nutrition Centers (NUTRIFAIR)- Hot noon meals at four sites throughout the county, with scheduled daily activities. Call 589-7817 for reservation. Suggested contribution $3.
- Albion- Albion Academy, 16 East Academy St. Mon-Fri
- Lyndonville- Yates Town Hall, Route 63. Mon, Tues, Thurs.
- Kendall- Kendall Town Hall, Route 237. Wed and Fri only.
- Nutrition Counseling- A registered dietician is available for consultation and assistance with special diet problems, restrictions, and/or nutrition related inquiries. Suggested contribution $10 per session.
INFORMATION AND ASSISTANCE:
- Orleans NY Connects- Information and assistance for elderly, disabled and families. Call 589-3299
- Monthly Newsletter- Home delivery bi-monthly of "The Friendly Carrier" for helpful, informative, up-to-date articles and ideas for senior citizens; suggested contribution $5 per year.
- Long Term Care Information- Information and/or referral to all long term care services including home care, senior citizen housing, adult homes, and nursing homes.
- Health Insurance Counseling- Assistance with comparing insurance options, Medicare and HMO questions supplemental insurance policy comparison, prescription benefits or coverage and long-term care insurance information. Suggested contribution is $10 per session. Call 589-3191 for an appointment.
- Long Term Care Insurance- Insurance to help you prepare for your future financial needs. A Long Term Care policy can protect your assets and allow for financial independence. It helps you prepare for home and community care, adult day care, assisted living and skilled nursing facility. Call OFA at 589-3191 to receive unbiased information and education.
- Medicare Part D- Help with understanding and choosing a prescription plan. Call for assistance or schedule an appointment at the OFA at 589-3191.
- EPIC (Elderly Pharmaceutical Insurance Coverage) - Prescription coverage for New York State Residents over age 65 with no or limited insurance coverage must be income eligible. Single under $75,000 couple under $100,000 annually.
- Medicaid/Food Stamps- Help in completing these applications in the Office or outreach visits to homebound, frail elderly clients. Assistance in the Office by appointment only.
- QI-1, QMB, SLMB- Social Services application to reimburse for Medicare Part B premium that is deducted from Social Security checks. ($104.90 in 2014)
- Telephone/Cable Discount Programs (LifeLine)- Discount on monthly phone bills are available to clients on another assistance program such as HEAP, Medicaid, Food Stamps or Public Assistance. Application available at Office for the Aging or call Version telephone at 1-800-555-5000. AT&T- 1-888-549-2802
- New York State It-214- Assistance with application for New York State tax rebate for renters and property tax payers. Annual income must be under $18,000.
- Property Tax Exemptions- %10- %50 off property taxes if over age 65 and income eligible; first time applicants need to apply through local tax assessor. Also STAR exemption for school taxes are through local assessor. Must be filed by March 1st of each year.
- Section 8 Housing- Assistance with application for rent subsidy for income eligible clients. Call 589-3200.
- HEAP (Home Energy Assistance Program)- One time grant per year toward heating bill; for income eligible clients.
- SSI (Supplemental Security Income)- Assistance in applying for SSI if over age 65 or over age 60 and blind or disabled. Must be income and resource eligible.
SOCIAL ACTIVITIES/ HEALTH PROMOTION:
- Health Promotion And Disease Prevention Program- A health related program offered at locations throughout the county. Watch "Friendly Carrier" for dates, locations and topics.
- Senior Citizens Clubs- Medina Senior Citizens, 798-4544; Lyndonville Busy Buddies, 590-2465; Albion Senior Citizens meets every Wednesday at noon at Albion Academy; Holley Community Center, 638-6395.
- Volunteers- Have some free time? Looking to do something helpful? Office for the Aging is always in need if volunteers for the following: (Call for Application)
- Advisory Council- Members meet monthly and advise on activities, planning, budgeting, outreach for seniors and senior services in Orleans County.
- HIICAP Counselors- Meet with clients and assist counseling of health insurance options.
- Meals-on-Wheels- Drivers to deliver meals to the homebound. Call 589-5424
- Newsletter Collators- To assist in compiling the monthly newsletter, The Friendly Carrier.
- Office Volunteers- To assist in clerical duties; filing, copying and collating and typing.
- Transportation- Help with transportation needs of Orleans seniors.
Melissa Blanar - Director
County Administration Building
14016 Route 31, Albion, NY 14411
Phone: (585) 589-3191
Fax: (585) 589-3193